Logo
Mark

Evaluation and future steps:




We performed one last round of usability testing to see if our newly converted product met our initial goals. Validating the decisions we made effectively make caretakers jobs easier was essential to set up our future recommendations to Gaia before final handoff.


Positives


Low cognitive load:
The primary tasks of the app were easy to accomplish. Users got to the data they wanted to see right at the beginning and appreciated the variety of data available for them to sort through.

Editable dashboard:
As mentioned above, users wanted to see everything at first but believed over time that they could slowly peel back the data they didn't use or know how to translate. Further testing would be required to see if they actually would follow through with this.
Charts with time & location context:
Seeing time and location in context with the data made our users feel it was more actionable. They talked about being able to put together patterns, but the testers were not all in sync on the data visualizations sot hey probably would need more testing.

My Circle organization:
They immediately understood this page and were able to get to the information they were looking for in very few steps. They liked being able to go straight into sending a report from this page instead of having to backtrack to the reports page.


Our findings were that the overall reaction to the app to falls right into our goal of it being easy to use, but we did find places for them to improve over time. 




Areas to improve


Central repository:
There needs to be a more central repository for previously sent and potentially received reports. Because we were focusing on the parent, we looked heavily at what they would send out, but not as much at the point-of-view of the recipient.


Language:
There was some confusing language for testers that we would like to have a few more rounds of testing to round into final shape. 

At the beginning of the project, our clients' long-term roadmap included the potential of many new wearable products if PAL was successful. Because we were conscious from the start this app would not be a match for a single physical product, so we were able to send the client in a direction with data that can support any number of paths forward.





Roadmap


Onboarding:
Similar to the last project, we wanted testing to define the pain points that would require any further education in an onboarding flow. We think another round of ideation and testing would be necessary to make a definite call on what those elements might be.

Icons and labeling:
Throughout our testing, we found different caretakers using different language to describe the aspects of daily life. More rounds of testing are required to further hone in on most common language.

Data visualization:
A considerable UI challenge that will take significant care to make sure it’s presenting the right amount of information and in an understandable manner. Opinions on these elements were scattered, and due to not having a large volume of testers, we did not find definitive directions. This would need further validation and iteration.



More interviews that target the younger age group:
A limitation to our data was a lack of insight from the users we interviewed and tested about the current struggles of parents of children with autism in their pre-teen and teen years. With the rise of smartphones, tablets, apps and the modern internet, life has been changing very quickly for caretakers, and we would want to learn about what is going on right now for these people.

The child facing side:
We wouldn't build based entirely off of assumptions, so we did not tackle that side what-so-ever after the concept phase. The child-facing side of the app is a substantial long-term requirement, so considerable resources should be directed at this goal.
© 2018 Rob Jurewicz