Logo
Mark

Definition: The problem to solve

As our team all agreed that this was shining through the data we had gathered, it allowed us to move on to problem definition. We could start to consider how to translate this into bite-sized pieces for ourselves and our clients to move forward. To communicate our plan, we looked at our audience, their pains, and all we learned so far to create a single problem statement.


Parents of teenagers with autism who hope their children can gain some independence need a mobile app that helps parents manage their daily lives and communication with their children and those involved in their care. With this tool, they hope to identify patterns related to their stress levels that can lead them towards a more independent life.


We felt with this combination of wearable technology, automatic digital management, and communication tools; we would be able to accelerate the process of gaining independence. To help us stay on track with those goals we built design principles to guide us in mapping our next phases of design work.




Create Consistency
There should be a regularity to the product interactions, so it doesn’t create surprises



A Calm Voice
Used during times of stress, its design should promote a feeling of calm and increase the sense of being in control


Low Learning Curve
Should be usable by a broad set of users as they will have drastically different needs and backgrounds



Remain Focused
The technology should not reach too far and fall into the background during everyday life. We don’t want it to be a constant task.


We identified that these tools should help automate the manual tracking activities that parents are not able to keep up with. In turn, our principles are keeping in mind specifically that we don’t want them to have to spend significant time within the product and that people are using it with different levels of technical knowledge, so it can’t be overly complicated to see necessary information. We want it to feel like a safety blanket of reassurance during life changes for the parent and child.

When presenting the data to our clients, but it was apparent they were looking and expecting a younger target audience from us. With the client's hard science background, we were able to show them how the data was supporting our decisions. Each target audience eventually needs attention anyway, so to maximize the value Gaia got out of our UX team's work, we would work on the areas where we had the most data. Being able to point out that going in the direction they were expecting, we would be basing our work on the same assumptions we came in with and not based on the new data and insights we provided Gaia was successful.

© 2018 Rob Jurewicz